Thursday, September 11, 2014

{tailgating snacks: mini corndogs 3 ways}




While living in Chicago,  I found myself watching a lot more football than I previously had in my life between Northwestern's team, the Bears and rooting on the Georgia Dogs or USC Trojans alongside friends.  I would say that now I am about 10% more interested in football than I was previously which is a solid jump for me.  But I'm 100% more interested in the act of tailgating (something previously foreign to me as I went to a college with a forgettable football situation).  More specifically- the elevated version of tailgating (like this amazing tailgate).   You might remember a post on here for mini corndogs with fancy ketchup pairings.  That post has actually been seeing a lot of action lately - maybe because football season is beginning or maybe it's getting bounced around on pinterest... who knows.   I thought it would be fun to do a little update to that post adding in some more interesting flavor options for the mini corndogs.  I tried out jalapeno, onion/chive and maple versions- all of which are soooo good that Chris and I probably ate 6 each (not sorry.).  Scroll down for the recipes and happy tailgating season!






 {fyi- thats the "real talk" photo of the kitchen. I didn't move things out of the way so it looked pretty. my cell phone is within arm's reach. all thats missing here is a glass of red wine or a stiff drink, but I made these in the early afternoon so you know how it goes...}



Mini Corndog Flavor Trio

what you need (makes 24 mini corndogs) :

  • corn bread mix (I used Trader Joe's version) and ingredients listed on box for mix which for me was vegetable oil, 1 egg & whole milk
  • 2 jalapenos
  • 1 bunch fresh chives
  • 1 white onion
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 pack of Hebrew National Beef Franks
  • mini cupcake pan
  • cooking spray 
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Mix corn bread according to box instructions. Then divide the mixture evenly among three small bowls.
  3. Finely chop jalapeno.  Dice one half of a white onion. Fine chop chives.
  4. Carmelize onions on stovetop until golden brown (about 10 minutes over medium heat).  Set aside and allow to cool.
  5. Mix in 1/3 cup of the jalapeno into one bowl of cornbread mix.  Mix in cooled onions and 1/4 cup cut chives in the second bowl of cornbread mix.  Mix in 2 tablespoons of maple syrup into last bowl of cornbread mix.
  6. Cut hot dogs into 1-inch long pieces- usually about 4 pieces per hot dog.
  7. Spray mini cupcake pan with cooking spray.
  8. Place about 3/4 tablespoon of cornbread mix in each cupcake basin. 
  9. Place one hot dog piece in the middle of each "muffin."
  10. Bake corndogs for about 12 minutes or until edges just start to get golden brown. 
  11. Allow to cool before removing from cupcake pan. 
  12. Enjoy!

You can also check out a fun video I did with Hebrew National all about elevating your tailgate right here. 




With grilling season upon us, everyone is craving an all-American hot dog. What makes a kosher hot dog different? It's all about what makes the cut (and what doesn't). Hebrew National is choosy about what goes into their franks – only 100% pure kosher beef so you know what you’re getting and they taste great. No artificial flavors, colors, fillers or byproducts.


Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Hebrew National via Mode Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hebrew National.


No comments:

Post a Comment