Friday, April 18, 2014

{friday cocktail: trouble in paradise}



Lately I have been seeing a lot of great cocktail bars make more use of tinctures in the place of bitters for their recipes.  Even though tinctures sound complicated and fancy they are actually quite easy to make. You simply infuse the flavor you wish to have a tincture of by soaking it in a high proof alcohol- for example a basil tincture is just a healthy handful of fresh basil leaves soaked in everclear overnight and then strained into an eyedropper container.   See more about tinctures here.

Since I love spicy cocktails, I was particularly intrigued by this cocktail from Tosca Cafe in San Francisco which includes a black pepper tincture along with my new favorite cocktail ingredient, Campari. This recipe is one of the select few that both appeal to my love for citrus-y and sweet cocktails as well as Chris' preference for more bitter bourbon or whiskey based drinks.





Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment