After a some cocktails, dinners with friends and a little boating excursion; we ended this weekend with a leisurely home-cooked meal. There has been an ongoing joke for sometime about how much Chris hates dessert and would almost always prefer a cheese plate to anything usually offered on the dessert menu so I was shocked when he suggested trying out a dessert recipe from Ferran Adria's The Family Meal to round out our dinner last night.
We decided to try out the recipe for fresh strawberries with yogurt foam which utilizes a whipped cream siphon that we have been wanting to try out for something other than simple whipped cream for the longest time. This recipe is incredibly easy and quick while still being delicious in light of how simple it is. You could easily switch out the strawberries for another fruit you might have around the house and while I liked the tart flavor of the plain yogurt, you could also switch this out for something a little more sweet like regular vanilla or raspberry yogurt. Here is the recipe taken from The Family Meal:
what you need (4-6 servings):
- 1 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- whipped cream siphon
- fresh strawberries- about 3 per person
- Pour the yogurt and cream into a large bowl and mix well.
- Sweeten the mixture with 2 tbsp. sugar if you desire a sweeter taste.
- Pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the siphon.
- Charge siphon with cartidrge and let cool in fridge.
- Cut strawberries into quarters and set aside.
- When ready to serve, place about 3/4 cup of the yogurt foam into a small bowl or cup. Then top with fresh strawberries.