Last weekend some of my family came up to L.A. to celebrate our birthdays. While we didn't eat dinner here at our place, I try to always have something for people to snack on when they arrive in case they are hungry. Using what we had around the house I was able to whip up a tasty apple and caramelized onion tart.
What you need:
- frozen puff pastry
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1/2 cup carmelized onions
- 1/3 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- To prepare, thaw a frozen pastry sheet and make sure to patch up any holes, cracks, or seams. Place the pastry sheet onto a sheet pan lined with parchment and dock with a fork leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge.
- At this point you can really put anything on and it will probably taste delicious but for this recipe I started with a bit of honey, added a layer of caramelized onion, some shredded Gruyere cheese, and then slices of granny smith apples.
- Place the tart into a 400 degree oven and check on it after 20 minutes. Cooking times will depend on your oven and ingredients but ours cooked for about 30 minutes.
- Once it has been baked transfer to a wire rack to cool; this will ensure the bottom stays crisp. Serve immediately.