Thursday, September 29, 2011

{puff pastry tart}

This past weekend Chris was in the kitchen whipping up a quick snack for some guests and I told him it would make a great blog post.  He then asked me if he could "guest blog" it for me.  I think he is jealous of all the guest blogging going on around here.  Anyways since Chris has a hand in almost all of the cooking on this blog (except the desserts), I couldn't say no.  So here it is in Chris' words and photos:




Last weekend some of my family came up to L.A. to celebrate our birthdays.  While we didn't eat dinner here at our place, I try to always have something for people to snack on when they arrive in case they are hungry.  Using what we had around the house I was able to whip up a tasty apple and caramelized onion tart.




What you need:
  • frozen puff pastry
  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 1/2 cup carmelized onions
  • 1/3 cup shredded gruyere cheese
  • honey
  1. To prepare, thaw a frozen pastry sheet and make sure to patch up any holes, cracks, or seams.  Place the pastry sheet onto a sheet pan lined with parchment and dock with a fork leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge.  
  2. At this point you can really put anything on and it will probably taste delicious but for this recipe I started with a bit of honey, added a layer of caramelized onion, some shredded Gruyere cheese, and then slices of granny smith apples.
  3. Place the tart into a 400 degree oven and check on it after 20 minutes.  Cooking times will depend on your oven and ingredients but ours cooked for about 30 minutes.  
  4. Once it has been baked transfer to a wire rack to cool; this will ensure the bottom stays crisp.  Serve immediately. 




Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great Post!! You are a natural:) I love puff pastry, so easy to work with and you can add just about anything to them!! Thanks for the great combo idea!

    ReplyDelete